Kögel Trailer GmbH & Co. KG | Am Kögel-Werk 1 | 89349 Burtenbach
+49 8285 88 - 0
Franz-Xaver Kögel was trained under the Georg Schmid of the Keplerstraße 6 craftsman in Neu-Ulm, and when he took over the business on May 1, 1934, the ambitious young man had long recognized the opportunities offered by motor transport. This was especially true in Württemberg, in the early thirties, when the sector was very well developed compared to other Federal States in the country. One reason was to host key companies in the automotive industry in the southwest of the country, and there were role models at the door of Kögel.
Together with the apprentice, the young master wainwright started production facilities for trucks and dump trucks. One of the first products was a tipper body for a Ford truck with double axle trailers. Neu-Ulm blacksmith August Welte produced trailers and substructures for dump trucks, and Kögel equipped them with flooring, side walls and other wooden structures. This first joint venture sowed the first seed of all subsequent developments - especially the transition from being a small craftsman craftsman working in his humble workshop to the status of an international entrepreneur.
Changes were needed to improve small workshop manufacturing equipment in a short time, and the company quickly moved to its own premises. Thus, in 1937, Kögel moved his business to the bank opposite the Danube, from Neu-Ulm in Bavaria to Ulm in Württemberg. Here, in Blaubeurer Straße, Kögel bought a plot and developed it according to plans.
II. World War II and reconstruction
In the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the promising company was influenced by the state-regulated hostage program. For military vehicles, especially in addition to body elements manufactured by Magirus, the product range has been extended to include grenades and car repairs. In particular, the automobile, the legendary DKW types such as the leather Reichsklasse “and„ Meisterklasse du, also known as leather Kleistermasse dolayı, are now part of the daily routine due to the leather-clad wooden frame. . In December 1944, the Allied air strike completely destroyed the Kögel area.
Franz Xaver Kögel had the opportunity to start a short time after the end of the war. In June 1945 he used rooms for his own purposes in a warehouse under the former army and was soon rebuilt in Blaubeurer Straße. The resulting two spatial production areas have now enabled the production of larger objects. In particular, large driver cabs were requested for long-haul trucks, and other truck manufacturers were not able to offer such cabs at this time.
Another coup came in October 1948, when he extinguished a fire in the former army regulation warehouse and the "reconstruction" came to order.
FX Kögel (left) and then Kögel's Sales Manager, Herbert Heinze, met with former Regional Prime Minister Lothar Späth at the IAA in Frankfurt am Main in 1981.
From craftsman to industrial company
The country's economy has expanded and Kögel's company has started to expand again in the fifties. In 1956, Kögel became one of the first places to move to the industrial area of the former Danube valley. The completion of the first building phase in the Danube valley also marked the last transition with a new set of production possibilities from the craftsman to the industrial company. One of the most important areas was the driver's cabin for Magirus and Krupp, which could now be produced on suitable assembly lines. The company was developing the second pillar of construction: Kögel-bodied coaches, Pullmann furniture trucks or vehicles equipped with a small box. Refrigerated vehicles began to appear on the roads foreshadowing vehicles.
Born on March 8, 1910 in the small town of Wiblingen in the south of Ulm, Franz Xaver Kögel spent much of his life at the age of 46.
The Kögel designers recognized the possibilities and challenges of combined transport or the development of a full plastic sandwich construction for the vehicle body. Kögel has become more and more specialized transport solutions provider.